Steven Braun, our Data Analytics and Visualization Specialist, leads the Library's suite of free and fee-based data visualization services for members of the Northeastern University community.
Note that some in-depth data analytics and visualization services have costs that are charged back to a department, unit, or grant budget.
Our Data Analytics and Visualization Specialist is available at no cost to consult with any undergraduate or graduate student working on a data or information visualization project. Please contact Steven directly for an appointment.
For faculty and staff
Our Data Analytics and Visualization Specialist is also available at no cost for initial consultation services to faculty and staff working on data visualization projects. Please contact Steven directly for an appointment.
In-depth, project-specific work
Our Data Analytics and Visualization Specialist can provide more intensive consultation and in-depth project work when paid for out of grants, research, or other funds. Examples include:
- data structuring and cleanup, including database design
- consultation on data analysis methodologies
- designing graphics for communicating data
- development of static and interactive web applications
- prototyping of visualization options
- development of programming scripts for analytics
- generating thorough documentation for analytics-heavy projects
We are happy to work with you or your department to determine the scope, pricing, invoicing and fund transfer arrangements for these services.
Free introductory workshops
Our Data Analytics and Visualization Specialist also provides regular free workshops through the library's Digital Scholarship Group, designed to introduce you to data analysis and visualization and other aspects of information design. Steven can also visit your class to give a similar brief introduction on visualization tools and methodologies. These workshops are largely demonstration-based.
Hands-on classes and workshops
Our Data Analytics and Visualization Specialist can also collaborate with you to add a data visualization component to your class. Steven can develop and teach in-depth and hands-on workshops for Northeastern University units and departments. A hands-on introduction to information design and data visualization might include:
- working with the class instructor to design appropriate assignments or projects
- recommending and providing instruction on specific visualization tools or software, such as (but not limited to) D3 and Adobe Illustrator
- highlighting information and visualization design principles relevant to the project or assignment
- finding relevant datasets and developing workflows for any necessary data preparation and manipulation
- researching and recommending statistical analyses appropriate to the project or assignment
- advising on the creation and curation of data (appropriate storage, formats, preservation, etc.)
In our experience, this kind of hands-on introduction cannot be taught in a single class session. Therefore, we recommend a structure like:
- A 1-3 day intensive workshop (generally 9am to 4pm each day)
- A four-week series of 2-hour classes
- A one-credit lab class attached to a full-credit disciplinary class
- A full 3-credit class team-taught with disciplinary faculty
The Library offers in-depth data analytics and visualization classes and workshops on a cost-recovery basis. We are happy to work with you or your department to determine scope, pricing, invoicing and fund transfer arrangements.
Because these customized workshops require extensive preparation, we generally require a minimum of 2 weeks' notice before the desired date of the workshop.
Please contact us if you are interested in data analytics and visualization for your classes or research, and send your students and colleagues with data analytics and visualization needs our way!
Data Analytics and Visualization Specialist
Phone: (617) 373-5885
Email: s.braun [at] northeastern.edu